This is the very first cannelloni i ever made, whilst working in the Amalfi coast in an extremely well known Michelin star restaurant. The only addition was white shavings of truffle when they were in season.
- 1 leek white part only. Sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1small whole chicken
- 200g fresh ricotta cheese
- 60g butter
- 2 oz plain flour
- 450ml Stock (chicken)
- 375g fresh lasagna sheets
- 2 cups thick Italian tomato sauce/ optional
- 500grms of vegetable mirepoix with five peppercorns 2 bay leafs 1 sprig of thyme 3 cloves of garlic crushed and skin on
- 4 liters of water
Mise en Place
• Add mirepoix and spices to water and whole chicken, bring the stock to boil then turn heat down and simmer for ten minutes.
• Heat the oil in a large heavy-based sauce pan over medium heat then add onion & garlic, leeks & button mushrooms, and cook it for 3 minutes or until tender, set aside and place in fridge covered until needed.
• Place chicken filling along 1 long edge. Roll up. Place into base of a buttered baking dish. Repeat with the remaining lasagna sheets and filling.
• Pour pasta sauce evenly over cannelloni. Now add some of your tomato sauce. Bake uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until pasta is tender and top is golden. Allow to stand for 10 minutes before serving.