Spiced Caponata on cilantro flavored polenta, drizzled with coriander chutney.
Paprika flavoured Semolina polenta
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup semolina or pasta flour
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Paprika to taste
Cook milk in a heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring often, 6 minutes or just until bubbles appear (do not boil). Stir in semolina. Cook stirring constantly for 2 minutes or just until semolina begins to set. Stir in 1/2 cup cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- 500 gm small Italian eggplants
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 200 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 20 gm chopped onion
- 25 gm celery ribs, cut crosswise into very thin
- 30 gm large green olives, coarsely chopped
- 20 gm Italian capers packed in salt, rinsed well
- 15 gm sugar, or to taste
- 25 ml white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp jalapenos diced
- 60 gm cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 sprig of basil
- Peel eggplants, leaving some strips of peel, then cut into 1-inch cubes and spread on half of a kitchen towel. Sprinkle eggplant with salt then cover with other half of towel and weight with a baking sheet topped with 2 or 3 large cans for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1/2 cup oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then cook onion, stirring, until pale golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Add celery and cook, stirring, until onion and celery are deep golden brown, about 10 minutes. Add olives, capers, and 2 tablespoons sugar and cook, stirring, 2 minutes, then stir in vinegar and tomatoes.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, 20 minutes. If sauce is very acidic, add 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar (to taste). Transfer to a bowl and keep warm, covered.
- Rinse eggplant in a colander under running water, then squeeze dry in small handfuls.
- Heat remaining cup oil in cleaned skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then fry eggplant in 2 batches, turning occasionally with tongs, until tender and browned on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes per batch. Transfer as cooked to paper towels to drain, transfer to a large shallow serving dish in an even layer. Spoon sauce on top, stir before serving.
Coriander leaves with stem (washed and drained): 50 gm
Garlic: 2 cloves
Lemon juice: 1 tsp
Yoghurt: 1 tbsp
Salt: as required
- Blend all the ingredients in a blender and season to a smooth consistency.