The fragrant and creamy Chai Karak stands strong as a brew that is gaining popularity in the ‘Khaleeji’ region. The beverage owes its humble beginnings to the South Asian countries of India and Pakistan and is currently one of the most popular drinks in the UAE and Qatar,
- 3 strands of saffron
- Rose Petals (to taste)
- 1 cardamom seed
- 1/2 stick cinnamon
- Rose Water
- 1 tsp loose black tea
- 1 cup water
- Sugar (to taste)
- Evaporated milk (to taste and creaminess)
Method of Preparation
- Crush the saffron with mortar and pestle, until powdery.
- Then, in a saucepan add water, and all of the above ingredients, except milk and sugar.
- Allow the mixture to boil on high heat for 5 minutes or until aromatic.
- Turn heat down to medium and add milk and sugar, until a gentle brown colour develops.
- Stir the karak chai until heated thoroughly.
- Pour into a cup through strainer.
- Place this cup in the fridge until it completely cools down.
- Pour into a serving cup/glass, and stack it up with ice to keep cool.
- Garnish with pistachios/ rose petals/ saffron strands.