This is a contemporary twist on the traditional version of the classic buche de noel, the famous and delicious French Christmas gateaux. A chestnut mousse resting over a chocolate sponge topped with a sinful chocolate glaze. A gluten free dessert with Pure extravagance.
|For the chocolate sponge:|
|Dark chocolate||175 gms|
|Eggs, separated||3 pcs|
|Castor sugar||½ cup|
|For the chestnut mousse||21/4 cups|
|Chestnut puree||100 gms|
|Whipping cream||150 ml|
|Egg yolk||1 pc|
|Castor Sugar||50 gm|
|Gelatine||1 sheet/5 gms|
|For the chocolate glaze:|
|Cocoa powder||20 gm|
|Whipping cream||20 gm|
|Dark chocolate||10 gm|
|Gelatine||1 sheet/ 5 gm|
- For the chocolate sponge : Melt the dark chocolate over bain marie.
- Whip the egg yolks and sugar till pale. Mix in the melted chocolate to form a dough.
- Whisk egg whites to stiff peaks and beat in the chocolate dough. Add the chocolate batter in a 8 inch greased and lined baking pan.
- Bake the sponge at 180 degrees Celsius for 8-10 minutes. Let cool.
- For the chocolate glaze: Combine the water, sugar, cocoa, and heavy cream in a saucepot and bring to a boil. Add the chocolate and stir to combine. Add the bloomed gelatin and strain. The glaze is ready to use when it reaches 70°F.
- For the chestnut mousse: Soak gelatine sheets into ice-cold water for 5-10 minutes.
- Whip cream with half of the sugar to medium peak and keep in the fridge.
- Whisk egg yolk with rest of the sugar and place it on the bain -marie whilst continuously whisking until pale and thick to make a Sabayon.
- Add in the strained gelatine and mix in the sabayon until it dissolves.
- Mix in the chestnut puree. Fold in the whipped cream until combined. Pour the mousse into a piping bag.
- For assembling the gateaux: Layer the chocolate sponge at the base of the mould. Pipe the mousse onto the chocolate base. Let set for 4 -5 hours in the chiller. Top with the chocolate glaze, and let set for 1 hour in the chiller.
De- mould & garnish with chestnut paste, roasted peeled chestnuts, grated chocolate or as desired.