Simnel cake, a light fruit cake layered and topped with marzipan eaten during Easter in the UK and Ireland.
Baking Temp: 150*c for 45 min
Portion size: 180 cm ring
|For Simnel fruit cakeIngredients||Quantity|
|Candied Orange peel chopped||50gm|
|Am arena cherries||40gm|
|Baking powderMilkGinger bread spice||1/2tsp75ml1/2tsp|
|Almond essence||1/8th tsp|
|Orange blossom waterApricot jam||2 .5tbspAs required|
- Blend almond powder and icing sugar together.
- Place it in bowl, add almond essence, and orange blossom water and knead into a dough and set aside.
- Soak golden raisin, black currants, chopped dates, candied orange peel, am arena cherries and 1 tsp orange zest in hot water
- Cream butter, orange zest, molasses and brown sugar till nice and creamy.
- Gradually add in egg one at a time and cream again.
- Sieve flour and baking powder and then add in the ginger bread spice.
- Squeeze all the fruits and mix with the above flour mixture, to coat all the fruits with flour.
- Fold this mixture with the creamy butter mixture and pour half of the mixture into the lined tin, flatten it and roll 1/3rd of the marzipan and place on top of the cake mixture .Pour the remaining half of the cake batter and bake at 150*c.
- Ones baked take it out from the oven roll it, spread apricot jam on top and roll 1/3rd marzipan on top of the cake, shape the remaining marzipan into egg shape, brush the top of marzipan and also marzipan eggs with beaten egg and place it back in the oven at 220*c to color the marzipan to golden brown.