This time of the year, gift giving is a must and sometimes gets very stressful. So why not bake your own gifts? It’s more personal and extremely delicious which is a good start to any gift. These little christmas cookies can be flavored in so many different ways, to whichever your creativity wants to take you.
Making this recipe idea versatile and beautiful gifts for friends and family.
- 90 gm (soft butter)
- 100 gm (caster sugar)
- 1 egg
- 300 gm flour + extra for dusting while rolling the dough
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Method of Preparation:
- Cream butter and sugar till pale and smooth with a wooden spoon or electric mixer
- Add the egg and beat well
- Add the vanilla and cinnamon – beat well
- Add the flour and switch to a fork as its easier to combine
- Let it rest for half an hour at least, before rolling it out
- Roll the dough between two sheets of cling film dusted with flour to make the process of rolling hassle free
- The cookies should be half an inch in length before you cut them with your choice of cookie cutters.
- Once cut and laid on a baking sheet, bake at 170° for 20 minutes. ( Make sure to check the oven after 15 minutes, the dough shouldn’t color too much and they should be dry enough to touch. As they hardened well once cooled down.)
Tips: Make sure the butter is room temperature for that gloriously smooth texture. Beat the egg in well to avoid any lumps in your dough.. This recipe yields around 25 cookies.
- 1 egg white
- 400 gms icing sugar
- lemon juice
- food colouring
Method of Preparation:
- Beat the egg white in a clean bowl until airy.
- Add the icing sugar a little at a time and whisk well.
- Keep adding sugar until the icing is thick enough o hold a peak once lifted from the bowl.
- Add a pinch of lemon juice.
- Diving in small bowls and add the food coloring accordingly.
- Fill into piping bags and pipe over cooled cookies.
Tips: Make sure bowl and whisk is clean before starting to make the icing, or else, any grease will not allow it to reach the desired texture. Addition of icing sugar should be gradual as it thickens the more its whisked. Lemon juice is aiding, therefore making the icing whiter than it already is. Food coloring agents should always be organic and gel if possible as they are more healthy.