Four Bean Chili
Ingredients Serves 4
- 500g lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 to 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1clove garlic crushed
- 6 medium tomatoes (diced)
- 2tblp tomato paste
- 400m beef stock
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 red kidney beans
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 can black eyed beans
- 1 can Cannellini beans
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Toppings: shredded cheese, fresh coriander & sliced red onion
- Cook ground beef and onion in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until meat is no longer meat and onion is softened. While it cooks, use a wooden spoon to crumble the meat into small chunks.
- Add jalapeno, chili powder, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, cumin, and garlic powder. Cook for 1 minute, stirring to mix everything and toast the spices.
- Add diced tomato, tomato paste and beef stock. Simmer uncovered for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. If too thick, add a little more water or beef broth.
- Add beans and salt and pepper and simmer gently for 5 more minutes.
Chef’s Tip: Why not add some fresh squeezed lime juice before serving with your chili. Serve steam rice, which you can mix freshly chopped coriander.