My inspiration to this dish came from my love for Moroccan Cuisine, where dry fruits are very common in their cuisine. The combination and the technique of using dates and mustard together with lamb is a popular preparation in Moroccan cooking, and again lamb is highly popular in Europe too. Here in my preparation of lamb I have tried to bring the east and west together and the result is a match made in heaven. The soft texture of lamb with the dates just melts in your mouth.
The date originally came from North Africa and the middle east and its use in gastronomy is no longer limited to just desserts but main course and entrée’s as well.
So why cook the lamb 2 ways? Some may ask. Well, here my preparation involves the traditional way and cooking by Sous Vide a method of molecular gastronomy– the application of scientific principles to the understanding and development of food preparation . This retains the natural succulent flavor and structure of lamb which cannot be obtained using traditional means.
For the traditional way of cooking I chose to pan sear the other lamb tenderloin with fresh herbs and garlic with butter to give that clarified butter aroma which is infused with garlic and the herbs to give it a crispy texture.
For the Sous Vide Lamb
Lamb Tenderloin 4pcs
Grain mustard 3tblspn
- Clean the tenderloin by removing all the connective tissues if needed.
- Cut the tenderloin in half / butterfly it and flatten with a meat hummer.
- In a robo coupe, blend the dates and grain mustard together to a smooth consistency.
- Spread the above mixture onto the flatten tenderloin and roll in a cling wrap, vacuum seal it and sous vide @ 55 degrees for 45 minutes ( or depending on the size of the tenderloin)
For the Pan Seared Lamb
Lamb tenderloin 2 pcs
Fresh thyme 2-3 strings
Garlic 2 cloves
Salt n pepper AR
- Roll the tenderloin in cling wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours to retain shape.
- Unwrap the tenderloin and in a medium to high heat , sear off the tenderloin and add in the butter , garlic and thyme.
- Baste the lamb continuously to the required doneness and keep aside to rest.
For the Pumpkin Puree
Garlic 2 cloves
Fresh Thyme 2-3 string
Cooking cream 200ml
- Mix all the ingredients together and bring to a boil and cook till tender.
- Place in a robo coupe and blend to a smooth consistency.
- Adjust seasoning and set aside.
For the Jus
Red wine 100ml
cinnamon stick 1stick
Star anise 1pc
Mint leaf 3 pcs
Lamb stock 250ml
- Reduce the red wine , cinnamon stick and star anise to 1/3 .
- Add the mint.
- De-glace with the lamb stock and reduce to half adjusting the seasoning.