Nougat are enjoyed for centuries, it is a classic confection made from sugar or honey, roasted nuts, whipped egg whites and sometimes added with chopped candied fruit. Many countries claim parentage to this traditional delight, various are found in Italy, France, Spain and in the Middle East.
The consistency of a nougat is chewy and it is used in a variety of candy bars and chocolates. There are three (3) basic kinds of nougat:
- White Nougat – the most common type of nougat, made with beaten egg whites and honey.
- Brown Nougat – which is made without egg whites and has a firmer, often crunchy texture.
- Viennese or German Nougat – essentially a chocolate and nut (hazelnut) praline.
While there are literally dozens of variations, perhaps hundreds, they generally fall into soft and hard versions. This being adjusted by the ingredients and length of cooking time. Versions of nougat made with honey tend to be softer, while the sugar versions are harder, even brittle.
|Egg Whites||50 gm|
|Cocoa Butter||50 gm|
|Mixed nuts (pistachio, Almond, hazlenuts etc)||530 gm|
|Apricot (chopped)||100 gm|
- Heat and hold assorted nuts at 120 degrees Celsius.
- In a saucepan, add honey and heat to 116 degrees Celsius.
- Simultaneously heat 380 gms of sugar, 120 gms of glucose and 100 gm of water in a saucepan. It needs to be taken to 140 degrees Celsius.
- When the honey reaches 116 degrees Celsius, start whipping 30gm of sugar and 50 gms of egg whites. Keep heating the honey till it reaches 120 degrees Celsius. Meanwhile continue cooking the sugar as it would not have reached 140 degrees Celsius.
- When the honey reaches 120 degrees Celsius add it to the meringue while continuing to whip.
- Put the cocoa butter for melting, and set aside.
- When the sugar reaches 140 degrees add it in as well in the meringue while continuing to whip for further 5 mins.
- Add melted cocoa butter in the meringue mixture and whip for another 2-3 minutes.
- Stop the whipping process and fold in the nuts and apricot.
- Remove the nougat dough on to a silicon mat, shape using a 9 inch square frame.
- Note: wafer sheet could be used for the top and bottom of the nougat, to prevent it from sticking. To make the dough work easy, it could be floured with flour or cornstarch.