Russian Apricot Pirog is a simple and rustic pie that could be put together in a jiffy. It’s something that brings childhood memories to me. My mother used to bake it every morning to have it with tea. It could be made with fresh & ripe apricots and also with apricot preserve. As the fall season brings the pie season also along with it, I decided to make this easy to bake Apricot Pirog with some sweet and tart Apricot jam/preserve.
Butter – 100gm
Sugar – 125gm
Eggs – 50gm
Vanilla extract – 2.5gm
Sour Cream – 125gm
Vinegar – 5ml
Baking Soda – 2.5gm
A/P Flour – 400gm
Apricot Jam – 250gm
Apricot Jelly – A/R
Dry Apricot Fruit (optional)
Roast Almond Slices (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C and grease tart case with butter and line it with baking paper.
- Sift the flour and keep aside.
- Cream the butter with sugar until light and fluffy, using a hand mixer.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Beat in the eggs little by little and mix it until smooth.
- In a separate bowl mix together vinegar, baking soda, and sour cream until we get a bubbly cream mixture.
- Add the cream mixture into butter mixture and mix it on low speed.
- Start to fold in the flour using spatula or hands and form a soft
- Take a small portion of the dough and divide it into10 small pieces and keep separate for the weaving.
- Sheet the rest of the dough and line the mold. Cut off the edges.
- Fill the tart case with apricot jam.
- For the top, roll out each of the small divided dough pieces for weaving into thin (2-3mm) cylinder shapes.
- Place on top of the tart across each other.
- Close the cross line dough as demonstrated and brush the surface with egg wash.
- Bake the tart at 160°C for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Glaze the baked tart with apricot jelly using a pastry
- Sprinkle the tart with chopped dry apricots and roasted almond slices.