- 11/2 kg rolled beef topside
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 4red onions, peeled and quartered
- 1⁄2a celeriac, peeled and cut into chunks
- 12shatanay carrots, peeled and halved lengthways
- 4garlic cloves
- 2beef bouillon cubes
- 400ml just boiled water
- 100ml red wine
- 1bay leaf
- 1teaspoon dried oregano
- 1teaspoon dried herbs
- 1teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2tablespoons corn flour
- Preheat 150 degrees
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan brown beef on all sides. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the vegetables and garlic to the pan and, stirring regularly, cook until the onions are beginning to go soft.
- Transfer the vegetables to crock pot and place the beef on top, push the beef down so it nestles among the vegetables.
- Dissolve the stock cube in the just boiled water; add the wine, oregano, mixed herbs and pepper.
- Pour over the beef; add the bay leaf and cover. Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Once the beef is cooked, carefully remove from the crock pot and place on a warmed serving platter. Remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon and arrange around the beef. Cover and keep warm.
For the gravy, ladle the liquid left in the crock pot into a saucepan, stir in the corn flour and bring to the boil, simmer for 2 minutes.