Chef’s Tip: Substitute the chicken for canelini beans to make it vegetarian friendly.
INGREDIENTS & QUANTITY
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 leek, rinsed and finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery, finely chopped
- 5 slices root ginger
- 1 star anise
- 6 free-range chicken thighs, skinless and of the bone
- 2 liters good-quality chicken stock
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 150g (5oz) pearl barley (rinsed & soaked)
- 2 handfuls frozen peas & sweet corn
- thyme and parsley, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the onion, carrot, leek and celery and sweat over a low heat until softened. Add the ginger and star anise; cook for a few minutes. Season the chicken and add with the stock. Bring to a gentle simmer, turn down the heat, cover and simmer gently for an hour, skimming any impurities off the surface with a spoon.
- Add the potato and pearl barley 25 minutes before the end of cooking and continue to cook, covered, for the remaining time. Add the peas and sweet corn, cook for another 3 minutes. Season, garnish and serve hot. This will keep in the fridge for 3 days.