- 2 x 150 grams of fillet/ Sirloin
- 2 banana shallots(finely chopped)
- 1 clove of garlic slightly crushed
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 50 grams of butter
- 80 mls of brandy (optional)
- 150 mls of double cream
- 30mls Worcestershire sauce
- 15 grams Dijon mustard
- 2 brown, 1 Portobello & 3 button mushrooms (sliced)
Season the steaks. Add 30 mls of oil in a sauté pan once hot sear your steaks for a few minutes on one side, then turn over and cook for a few minutes or your required doneness at this point add garlic, thyme and butter. Now baste the steaks with 25 grams of butter for a minute or so. Set steaks aside and discard thyme, garlic and butter. Now add the remaining butter and add shallots, sliced mushrooms and sauté until done then add brandy and set alight. Now place mustard and Worcestershire sauce and add cream. Simmer until the sauce thickens. Place steaks back into the sauté pan and coat with sauce. (Basically you are reheating the steaks in the sauce)Place steaks on warm plates and Pour remaining sauce over steaks, serve with homemade potato wedges. If you do not wish to add brandy add the same amount of a good beef stock and reduce by half then follow as after brandy has been flamed .
Strawberries, Balsamic & Basil Mascarpone
- 500ml quality of Balsamic vinegar (ready prepared)
- 15 g brown sugar
- 1 full punet of strawberries, washed and quartered
- 35 g mascarpone cheese (slightly whipped)
- 10 fresh basil leafs (shredded)
In a small saucepan, place vinegar and bring to a boil. Turn it down to a strong simmer, add sugar, and reduce by half, careful it does not burn or reduce too far. Stir occasionally. Allow to cool, as it does it will thicken more. Place in a squeeze bottle with a tight fitting lid.
Place washed and sliced straw berries in a bowl or wine glass, mix mascarpone with basil and place on top of strawberries, drizzle with syrup. Serve immediately.
Asian style salad
- 100 g carrots
- 50 g red onions
- 100 g white cabbage
- 1 apple cored and matchsticks
- 15 g mint leaves (picked)
- 15 g coriander leaves (picked)
- 25 g bean sprouts
- 30 g crushed salted peanuts
Slice carrots, cabbage and onions into thin julienne cuts using a mandolin or grater. Cube the apples and pick the leaves of the mint and coriander. Mix all the ingredients in a salad bowl and add dressing. Serve in a bowl Add bean sprout and peanuts.
- 10 g fresh minced ginger/ paste
- 100 ml olive oil
- 30 ml rice vinegar
- 15 ml water
- 15 ml runny honey
- 15 ml soya sauce
Mix all ingredients into a mixing bowl and whisk. Pour into salad and gently mix all ingredients together & serve.