- FOR THE CAKE:
- 3 C. Flour
- 2 t. Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- ¼ t. Cloves, ground
- ¼ t. Nutmeg, ground
- 6 oz.unsalted Butter
- ¾ C. Sugar
- 4 large golden delicious
- 2 free range eggs
- ¾ C. Milk
- 30 g Sugar( top of cake)
- FOR THE CUSTARD:
- 6 free range large Egg Yolks
- 6 T. Sugar
- 1½ C. Full fat milk
- 1½ t. Vanilla
- Grease and flour an 8″ or 9″ round cake tin.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt, cloves and nutmeg into a large mixing bowl.
- Cube the butter, into the flour then using your fingers rub into flour until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Add the ¾ C. sugar to the flour mixture and mix.
- Peel the apples and slice them into uniform pieces. About ¼” wide and then cut into 3 pieces.
- Toss the apples into the flour mixture and combine them thoroughly.
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and milk together. Add to the apples and flour and mix in with a large spatula until just combined. Batter will be thick and dough-like.
- Transfer the dough into the prepared cake pan and flatten the top surface using the back of your spatula.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes. Test the center for doneness. The top of the cake should be golden brown.
FOR THE CUSTARD SAUCE:
Place the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and whisk until pale yellow, 2-3 minutes. Place the milk in a medium saucepan and bring just to a boil. Slowly whisk the hot milk into the egg/sugar mixture. Transfer the mixture back to the saucepan and stir over medium heat until custard thickens, about 4 minutes. Custard should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Mix in the vanilla. Transfer to bowl or serving saucer.
Serve warm or cold over apple cake.