An irresistibly delicious and moist Saffron cake with the classic Persian flavours of saffron, cardamom, and rose water served with the silky smooth Mahalabiya Sauce, making it into a sinfully rich indulgence.
For saffron cake
Eggs – 3
Sugar – 1 cup
Vanilla – 1tsp
Oil – ½ cup
Flour – 1 ½ cup
Baking powder – 1 ½ tsp
Salt – a pinch
Cardamom – 1tsp
Milk – ¾ cup
Saffron threads – ½ tbsp.
Sesame seeds – 1 ½ tsp
Rose Mahalabiya Sauce
Milk – 1cup
Cream – 1cup
Cornstarch – ½ cup (60g)
Rose water – 3 ½ tbsp
Method of Preparation
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees, and line your cake tin with oil and sesame seeds.
- Warm up the milk and sprinkle saffron threads in it and let it steep for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, salt, and cardamom.
- In a separate bowl, using a hand mixer foam up eggs, vanilla, and sugar until light and fluffy ( ribbon stage)
- Fold in the flour, oil, and milk gently into the egg-sugar mixture.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 30 minutes.
- Pour 3/4 milk and cream in sauce and bring to a simmer
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining 1/4 then add to saucepan
- Add 1/4 cup sugar to the sauce recipe
- Cook until it starts to thicken, stirring continuously
- Take off the heat add rose water and food colouring ( optional)
- Pour on the cake once it cools down and serve.